meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
Nightingale









Monday, May 08, 2006

The phone rang while I was having lunch with friends in my office. It was my sister-in-law's doctor requesting to personally see me. I immediately agreed because I had to know the results of the bone marrow test of my sister-in-law
who has been confined in the hospital for a week now.

She told me that she had Acute Myelogenous Leukemia ( an aggressive type) and she had a few months to live. It was a terrible jolt and an awful dread swept over me. After she left, I immediately went up to the hospital chapel to pray for strength for I had to relay the sad news to her husband and two sons (ages 12 & 16).

Before I could say anything to them when they came into my office, I already broke down into tears. At this instance, my cellphone beeped and it was my daughter replying to my sad news. Her message went this way..."Let's be strong for her right now. Hope is a gift from God. Let's use it to assure us that God's plan is greater than ours. Don't show her pity and sadness but rather we need to help her prepare her spirit for God's purpose in her life. There is still time. God can do wondrous things in just a snap of His fingers. We need to believe that there is hope because if we can't do this, how are we of any help to her? God loves her more than we do. Be strong in your faith." From that moment, the grip of panic fell away, and I had peace. This helped my brother and my nephews accept the news in a different perspective.

Starting that moment, we will commit to take the step of faith. By doing so, the action will wash out the fear, and faith will take its place. For faith and fear cannot exist simultaneously. We will nurture this through prayer and action for it to remain a strong force as we go through this difficult time.
 
9:38 PM | Permalink |


12 Comments:


  • At 5/08/2006 11:01 PM, Blogger Trinity13

    I will def keep your sister and the rest of your family in my prayers!

     
  • At 5/08/2006 11:07 PM, Blogger MaR

    I am so sorry to hear this, her kids are of young age so she must be young too. May your strong beliefs help you go through this.

     
  • At 5/09/2006 5:01 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills

    Very very sorry to read thi \s news. I hope you all will be able to be strong for her and for each other, too. My heart & my thoughts go out to you and yours, my dear.

     
  • At 5/09/2006 8:02 AM, Blogger ... Paige

    Marie, I feel deep sorrow at your words. Listen to her words, let her know she is loved & all will be fine. I'm not saying it will be easy, let the tears flow & the sorrow show. Lean on God. I understand how you all are feeling. My beloved has a cousin cancer-Multiple Myeloma, bone marrow, blood cancer. We have been given a better chance then your sister in law. But it is not enough time, never will be. But know He is the lord & will do what is needed, even when we don't like it. God bless you all.

     
  • At 5/10/2006 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Oh my, want a wonderful message of hope from your daugther. That sure was God's timing. I'll be praying for you all for strength and peace in the midst of trouble.
    (((hugs)))

     
  • At 5/10/2006 2:38 PM, Blogger Chrixean

    Let's trust in the goodness of our Lord.....
    "The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures,
    he leads me beside quiet waters,
    he restores my soul.
    He guides me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.
    Even though I walk
    through the valley of the shadow of death, [a]
    I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
    You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
    You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
    Surely goodness and love will follow me
    all the days of my life,
    and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
    forever." Psalm 23

     
  • At 5/10/2006 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    i'll still pray hard for her speedy recovery. i know that with God's grace, nothing is impossible.

     
  • At 5/11/2006 12:02 AM, Blogger tanvi

    I hope God will give you strength to go through this. Trust her and be optimistic. Your sister in law needs more smiles and less tears.
    Keep your daughter's advice close.

     
  • At 5/11/2006 12:16 AM, Blogger The White Rabbit

    Hi Tita Tina,

    I had a chance to meet Tita Mercy and pray for her in her hospital room. In that short moment when my path crossed hers, her life touched mine and I felt God's presence in the room. There is so much more at work here than we can comprehend. I believe God has amazing plans for Tita Mercy, and that her purpose in life is just beginning--no matter how much time God gives her to fulfill it. And you, her family, are part of that plan. I know God will give you the strength to be by her side as she starts this new journey.

    "I lift my eyes to the hills -- where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth."
    -Psalms 121:1-2

    Jennie

     
  • At 5/11/2006 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Your daughter is amazing!
    I wish you the best through this very difficult time.

     
  • At 5/11/2006 7:43 AM, Blogger Viamarie

    Thank you all for your kind and inspiring messages. My sis-in-law was discharged from the hospital yesterday and she has decided not go through chemotherapy anymore. She has allowed God to take care of her from now on. With all of your prayers, God will give her what He thinks is best for her.

     
  • At 5/11/2006 12:50 PM, Blogger Malinda777

    Wow, I am so sorry to hear of this news. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I know you are a pillar of strength for them, and for that I am proud.

    You know, many people get a miracle, and as a believer, I KNOW IT IS POSSIBLE. I will hope for her it happens.

    Forgive me, but on the realistic side of the matter, she and your family must find the ability to deal with it in a positive way, and make her last months as pleasurable as possible.

    If you get a moment, read this past post of mine, click HERE.

    I hope in some minute way, this might give you some hope in the darker moments.