meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
Nightingale









Monday, June 26, 2006

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

CHAPEL OF ST. JOSEPH THE WORKER
Victorias Milling Company Inc.
Negros Occidental, Philippines


My father who was the head of Civil Construction of this company together with Ade de Bethune, a Belgian-born American artist and liturgical art expert of Newport, Rhode Island built this chapel in 1948. This chapel has become a landmark in the history of liturgical art because of its modernism. The mosaic decorations on the outside of the chapel were made of broken pieces of plates & bottles (coca cola, milk of magnesia, beer and whisky) which the mill site community contributed. The mosaic figures have a Filipino folk-art quality.The religious images are brown skinned and wearing Filipino clothes: Virgin Mary in saya & St. Joseph in barong. The artistic elements that have made this small chapel world-famous (it has been featured in Life, Liturgical Art and Progressive Architecture among others) retain their iconographic power and splendor of form. It shocked the sensibility of the average churchgoer long accustomed to the religious images found in Philippines churches, which on the whole are conservatively bland.

This is where I was baptized and where beautiful memories of my childhood days were created.

Links to other Monday Memories

(If you participate, leave your link in the comments and I'll post it below)

Click here for the Monday Memories code
Click here for Shelli's blog


Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!



 
6:44 AM | Permalink |


9 Comments:


  • At 6/26/2006 9:02 AM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD

    This is a wonderful church. Your dad had done a good job in building this.
    Mine is up too.

     
  • At 6/26/2006 4:11 PM, Blogger MaR

    Wonderful church! how nice that you can walk by and see your dad's work. Thanks so much (always) for your visits and kind words.

     
  • At 6/26/2006 7:08 PM, Blogger The Mistress of the Dark

    What a beautiful church!

    Have a lovely week! Many hugs to you.

     
  • At 6/26/2006 7:28 PM, Blogger Lazy Daisy

    aWWWW...what a beautiful church and what special memories. Thanks for sharing this.

     
  • At 6/26/2006 8:43 PM, Blogger Norma

    My husband is an architect and I believe I've seen this church in one of his publications. We are members of the visual arts ministry at our church. Thanks for posting this with your lovely text.

    My MM is up.

     
  • At 6/26/2006 9:06 PM, Blogger Trinity13

    What a wonderful looking church!

     
  • At 6/26/2006 11:36 PM, Blogger Pixie

    That is so neat & such a beautiful church. I can't really see the mosaic decorations; but love it. I don't know what it is about mosaic that draws me; but I like them.

     
  • At 6/27/2006 5:28 AM, Blogger craziequeen

    What an amazing church! So colourful and welcoming....and such unusual architecture.

    I love it.....

    cq

    My MM is up!

     
  • At 6/27/2006 7:15 AM, Blogger Renee

    What a great memory and a beautiful church. I too have wonderful memories of the church I grew up in. I wish I could find a picture of it! Thanks for visiting my MM!