meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
Nightingale









Monday, July 31, 2006

This is me in my student nurse uniform. I was about to go to the chapel of our school to attend the Capping Ceremony of my class when I was asked to pose for this photo. Bachelor of Science in Nursing was five years during my time and the capping was done on our 3rd year. The first two years were all the arts and science subjects. On my third year, that's when I started my hospital tour of duty. It was from 6 am - 12 noon for 5 days. Our afternoon and night duties were done during our summer break. During the regular months, my afternoon was spent inside the classroom from 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm Monday to Friday. After my hospital duty, I had to go back to my boarding school which was just across my school to change to my regular uniform. Below is a photo of me and classmates in our regular school uniform.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

All were years of studying and hospital duty but I can say they were many exciting experiences I had. One of them was when I was assigned to do volunteer work when a killer earthquake struck the country bringing down lots of buildings to the ground. I was assigned in Ruby Tower in downtown Manila. As a student nurse, I didn't know I would be able to withstand the smell of the thousands of decaying bodies but I am proud to say that I did not give up just like my other classmates. When I got home that night, I realized I had to continue delivering the necessary care for the survivors that they extracated from the rubbles.

Another one was when I was assigned also as a student nurse in the Leper Colony in Culion, Palawan. Initially when I was informed that I was to join this group and not the group that was assigned to go Baguio City, the summer capital of the Philippines, I cried. I tried giving my mentors all the excuses but it fell on deaf ears. After a week of my duty in Culion, with proper precaution, I started enjoying not only the beautiful place but more this group of lepers. After 3 months of stay with them, I felt so fulfilled and sad to leave them behind.

And lastly as a registered young nurse, I was privileged to be called to duty at midnight to take care of the Former Senator Jovito Salonga who was being transferred to the ICU. He had to undergo 7 major surgeries after he was hit by shrapnels from a series of bombings earlier that night in Plaza Miranda when he with several other senators were all gathered on a stage waiting for their turn to deliver their campaign speech. I took care of him for months and when he finally left for home, I felt so honored to have been part of the team that brought him back to normal. Up to this present time, Senator Salonga who is now in his 80's still serves as a consultant/adviser to many politicians.

At that time, taking pictures was not that easy just like nowadays so all I have with me now are unforgettable stories that fill up my memory bank.

 
7:55 AM | Permalink |


13 Comments:


  • At 7/31/2006 8:49 AM, Blogger ~Jennifer

    Wow, what an incredible life you've led. Thanks for sharing. I loved the pictures too.

     
  • At 7/31/2006 9:29 AM, Blogger Granny

    Jennifer said it for me. I'm finding out more and more about you.

     
  • At 7/31/2006 9:52 AM, Blogger Elissa L.

    Great picture. Congrat on the grandbaby to be! Thanks for visiting us!

     
  • At 7/31/2006 11:32 AM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD

    We do not sometimes know or we might not have the time to sit and recall some memories that are kept in our memory bank as you call it. However, for me, just looking at photos of the past just makes me like a computer mouse with one click and the memory rolls on.
    My Monday Memory is up too.

     
  • At 7/31/2006 12:27 PM, Blogger B.R.L

    You have had a life of giving. I give you thanks for all that you have cared for.
    Thank you also for the song which was an evening prayer for me. I hit puplish and I am not sure if it did because these words are still here.

     
  • At 7/31/2006 7:37 PM, Blogger The Mistress of the Dark

    Memories are just as good as pictures sometimes :)

    Have a lovely week!

     
  • At 7/31/2006 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Wow what an education you received!! Amazing memories!

     
  • At 7/31/2006 10:20 PM, Blogger Trinity13

    What a great uniform you had!

     
  • At 7/31/2006 11:48 PM, Blogger Borden Tribe

    What awesome stories. And such great pictures too. Sometimes I think I would like to do nothing more than just sit with people and listen to them recall the times gone by. Hopefully my children and grandchildren will enjoy listening to me in my old age.

     
  • At 8/01/2006 10:13 AM, Blogger Lazy Daisy

    Wow, I love the pictures and the stories. What an exciting life you have!

     
  • At 8/01/2006 10:48 AM, Blogger Irish Church Lady :)

    Thanks for sharing your nursing stories. Really amazing! My mum was a nurse too (but only for a short while until she got married). My daughter is studying to be a nurse now. Consequently I love hearing about it!

    I've tagged you at my blog if you're interested. http://irishandlovingit.blogspot.com/2006/07/tagged.html

    Toodles ~ ICL

     
  • At 8/02/2006 12:47 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills

    Wonderful pictures and amazing experiences, too.
    You know it is interesting to me that I noticed there are quite a few 'nurses' that blog and that I visit! I find that this is a very interesting thing...Nursing and Blogging!
    Nursing is such a very wonderful profession and it certainly takes a very particular kind of person to do this dedicated diffocult work. I congratulate you on your career, my dear. These were such interesting and amazing things you have done. And difficult, too.

     
  • At 8/02/2006 2:47 AM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard

    That's a great picture; thanks for sharing it. It tells a lot of memories