meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
Nightingale









Monday, July 24, 2006

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This photo shows how the cars in a vacant lot looked after Mt. Pinatubo erupted 17 years ago. I was staying a hundred kilometers away from the volcano so I didn't hear or feel the eruption. All I experienced was darkness at around past 3 in the afternoon but I just thought it was going to rain very hard that afternoon since there was a typhoon somewhere in the north. I did not catch the breaking news on tv because I was doing some household chores. It was later in the evening while I was preparing dinner that I noticed the top of the dinning table to be full of dust. I looked around the living room and all the furnitures had dust all over them. I went out of the house and it was then that I realized that something was wrong because the car, the plants and the grass was all covered with dust. I rushed to the tv to check what was going on and it was there that reports came one after the other about the most violent eruption of the 20th century. I couldn't do anything much since it was very dark so I just closed all the windows of the house to prevent ashes from coming in and when morning came, I was so shocked to see the thick ashfall all over the house and my surroundings. My hubby was out of town at that time so I only had my dad and a nephew clearing the ashfall from the roof to the ground. It took them all day to gather them in a big mound in front of our house.

This is one very memorable event in my lifetime and I am very thankful to God that the residents of all these affected towns have now recovered from financial losses and have moved on with their lives even if they had to relocate themselves.

 
6:52 AM | Permalink |


13 Comments:


  • At 7/24/2006 12:09 PM, Blogger Mama Duck

    Wow, that's something you'll never forget. Thanks for sharing!

     
  • At 7/24/2006 12:53 PM, Blogger wandi

    Wow. I remember in 1980 Mt. Saint Helens erupted in volcanic ash. It took 9 hours and covered many areas with the volcanic ash. Even in northern B.C. where I lived. The wind blew the ash many miles away. So I can relate. It sounds that you were much closer to your volcanic eruption though. I'm sure that you will never forget it.

     
  • At 7/24/2006 12:58 PM, Blogger wandi

    P. S. I just read the media report on your blog about the volcanic eruption. It is so sad that lives were lost in this event. I don't think that anyone was killed in the Mt. Saint Helens eruption. So Sorry for you and your country. It is always sad when lives are lost.

     
  • At 7/24/2006 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Ok I think like you I probably would be totally unaware until evening too! We never watch tv during the day!

    How crazy when you found out! That would definitely be someone one never forgets!

     
  • At 7/24/2006 6:22 PM, Blogger The Mistress of the Dark

    That looked like a dusting of snow on top of those cars.

    Have a lovely week.

     
  • At 7/24/2006 9:18 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Wow! It does look like a dustine of snow. I also remember Mt. St. Helens, but we live all the way across the country and had no effects from it.

    Thanks for sharing. Mine is up too.

     
  • At 7/25/2006 3:21 AM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard

    A great picture that shows so much.

     
  • At 7/25/2006 3:40 AM, Blogger Wystful1

    OMGoodness!!! What a story. How scary to look outdoors and see all that! Wow. Glad to hear that no one in your family was hurt in the eruption. And yes, indeed that would be a memory that NO ONE will forget.

    I played Monday Memory today also.

     
  • At 7/25/2006 4:10 AM, Blogger Pixie

    At first I thought it was snow; wow. I probably would have freaked out. It's always neat to see volcanos on nature channels but to know they can cost lives & cause damages is sobering.

     
  • At 7/25/2006 5:31 AM, Blogger Norma

    When I looked at the photo the first thought was snow. What a scary event, and I can see why the memory will be with you always.

    My MM is up--scroll down--it's about the reason for our trip.

    http://collectingmythoughts.blogspot.com/2006/07/2682-trip-tale-our-hosts-twenty-five.html

     
  • At 7/25/2006 3:50 PM, Blogger Chris Beason

    Thanks for dropping by my blog. I've missed visiting you so I'm glad I got a chance to drop in and catch up on your posts. I want to go visit that mall! The pictures you post are great and things that I would probably never see had it not been for you. Thanks for sharing them with me!

     
  • At 7/25/2006 9:12 PM, Blogger Meow (aka Connie)

    Wow, that would have been an incredible experience. Don't know that I would want to go through something like that. Scary stuff.
    Take care, meow

     
  • At 7/26/2006 4:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    What a memory! Scary experience!