meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
Nightingale









Monday, June 05, 2006
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Today, I will greet the day with a smile
so that I may open the door for happiness,
friendship, and love to enter.

I received a call from a new acquaintance in our Purpose Driven Life Seminar and she sounded really sad and lonely. She had just separated from her husband and was still trying to cope with it. She needed someone to talk to so I listened while she cried her heart out.

When I put the phone down, I felt good. I've been doing this many times but for close friends and people I work with and it felt good too but this kind of feeling was entirely different. I realized that when we lend a sympathetic ear to someone who is in trouble especially when she/he is not close to you or when we pray for another person's health, happiness and prosperity, we feel a wonderful sense of belonging and being a part of the human race.

It is only through loving others that we can begin to love ourselves. Learning to give of ourselves unconditionally to another human being can be a healing and self-nurturing experience.

When we are faced with the challenge of life's daily trials, we must seek out unselfishness. As we develop this behavior, we will soon realize that it is in our thoughtlessness of ourselves and our thoughtfulness of others that we are able to have a greater understanding of what love, peace, joy and happiness really mean.




 
7:10 AM | Permalink |


9 Comments:


  • At 6/05/2006 8:54 AM, Blogger Lazy Daisy

    Excellent observation. I'm so glad you were there to listen and pray for her.
    What a wonderful gift you gave her just to listen.

     
  • At 6/05/2006 11:16 AM, Blogger Unknown

    That's the thing about giving, you receive so much from it.

     
  • At 6/05/2006 8:58 PM, Blogger Unknown

    So very insightful. It is such a blessing to have someone listen and pray with me. You are a real blessing to others.

    I'm finally back online. Come visit.

     
  • At 6/05/2006 9:39 PM, Blogger Trinity13

    To have joy, you must put
    Jesus first,
    O second, and
    Yourself last.

     
  • At 6/05/2006 10:35 PM, Blogger no_average_girl

    how precious! I think it's incredible that people are just opening up. The world needs someone to just listen and love not hear and judge. May you be blessed with much patience, wisdom, and graceful words!

     
  • At 6/06/2006 1:45 PM, Blogger Malinda777

    You seem like a very kind person. Hey, you're a Gemini like my two sons :)...

    Nice post.

     
  • At 6/06/2006 4:11 PM, Blogger Marie

    Hello... I was doing some blog hopping and came across yours. Is your name actually viamarie, because my email id is viamariee with an extra "e" in the end. How interesting! And I came up with this id all by myself.

     
  • At 6/06/2006 6:48 PM, Blogger The Mistress of the Dark

    My mum had a similar experience yesterday. She called my aunt to thank her for something she sent in the mail. Her husband had recently passed away (my dad's brother)

    Have a lovely day.

     
  • At 6/06/2006 11:51 PM, Blogger MaR

    Wonderful, Viamarie!