meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
Nightingale









Monday, July 03, 2006

My childhood was one that many kids in our neighborhood envied. Aside from being a very happy family, my parents sent us to very good and expensive schools, provided us with all the material things available and instilled in us very strong values. I grew up in the house which is one of the houses that my father built as head of the construction department of the company he worked for. It sat in a 1000 square meter lot. It was surrounded with a lot of beautiful trees and flowering plants. At the far end of the house, we had a 2 room playhouse and in the middle of the big well maintained grass yard were the big swing and seesaw. Because of these amenities, almost all the kids in our immediate neighborhood spent their growing up years playing with us. My parents became hosts to a lot of big parties because the house had a very big and spacious living room, three big bedrooms, a big family room, a big veranda, a study room, a breakfast nook, a big dining room and kitchen. It also had the maid's quarter, the laundry room and the garage at the 1st floor level. All of these beautiful memories including the beautiful house were sadly left behind when we had to transfer to Manila after my daddy's retirement in 1971.

28 years later, my brother had a chance to visit the house again and he fortunately was able to take photos of it. He recently shared them with me and I was deeply saddened by the condition it is in now. The fence is rusty and the lamp post and beautiful plants that grew beside the impressive front gate are gone. They are replaced by trees that are not well maintained and wild plants. The entire house is so worn out and looks like it has not been painted in years. The back and side of the house have a variety of plants and trees in the lawn that have not been trimmed. The beautiful pine trees and the rows of flowering plants are gone. Gone too are the playhouse, the big swing and seesaw.

According to my brother, he felt bad seeing the outside of the house but he felt more sad when he saw the inside. He even cried when he stepped into the living room up to the kitchen areas. He could not understand how the new tenants have allowed all the beautiful things inside to deteriorate. Here are some of the shots he took during that visit.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


 
6:34 AM | Permalink |


16 Comments:


  • At 7/03/2006 7:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    aww at the end of that story I was so sad. My Grandfather had a general store in his town and the people that bought it last moved it!!! It is GONE! I was so sad. Oh how things should remain the same!

     
  • At 7/03/2006 8:34 AM, Blogger The Mistress of the Dark

    It can be really sad to see the condition of houses after you've moved from them, especially if they hold good memories.

    Thanks for the b-day wishes.

    Have a wonderful week!

     
  • At 7/03/2006 12:31 PM, Blogger Meow (aka Connie)

    It's always hard to go back ... things are never the same.
    I hope you had a wonderful weekend.
    Enjoy your week.
    Take care, Meow

     
  • At 7/03/2006 1:46 PM, Blogger Chris Beason

    It's sad to see such a beautiful home (that you described) to end up in the shape it's in now. It's like us and how God sees us. Even tho the outside maybe damaged, now that we belong to Him it's the feelings we have for Him on the inside that is what matters. If the house belonged to you now, I'm sure you would make it beautiful again!

     
  • At 7/03/2006 1:57 PM, Blogger YellowRose

    There is a saying that you can never go home again...it's so true, because home will never be as you remembered it. I was in my old hometown were I was born and raised last October. We drove through the old neighborhood and that was disappointing, but when I was my childhood home, it broke my heart. So I certainly understand you and your families disappointment! At least you have the memories!

    Happy Monday! My MM is up!

     
  • At 7/03/2006 6:37 PM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD

    This is a very sad story. The house looks sad too compared to what you described to be a happy house. This pictures makes me feel sad too and your memories makes me feel nostalgic.
    My Monday Memories is up too.

     
  • At 7/03/2006 10:43 PM, Blogger Lazy Daisy

    How blessed you were to have parents who gave you the best they had and taught you how to manitain it. We live in an old cottage farm house. It has been really fun to renovate and bring it back to the sweet family dwelling it once was. Thanks for sharing this lovely story.

     
  • At 7/03/2006 11:14 PM, Blogger MaR

    Sometimes it is better to remember things the way they were and not see them in their current conditions... so sorry about your old home. Too bad there are people who do not look after their homes.

     
  • At 7/04/2006 12:43 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills

    Maybe it is better sometimes not to 'go back' and look at a place that was your home...How sad that your beloved family home has not been maintained by whomever now owns it....! Well, at least you have your beautiful memories of it.

     
  • At 7/04/2006 2:28 AM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard

    A sad ebding to a fine story.

     
  • At 7/04/2006 3:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Such a beautiful house, and so sad that the people who live there now let it get so deteriorated. I would cry too if I had lived there and my father built it with his own two hands. What a waste.

    I'm up.

     
  • At 7/04/2006 8:56 PM, Blogger Deb @ Sugarfused

    Such a bittersweet post...

    Reminds me of the times I've traveled back to my grandmother's house in Kentucky.

     
  • At 7/04/2006 10:13 PM, Blogger Julie

    Thanks for visiting my site today;) Hope you have a great 4th of July.

     
  • At 7/04/2006 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    How sad, but you know sometimes it's better to remember what was, than to go back and see it how it is now. Nothing stays the same, but our memories live on :)

    Thnx for visiting my blog today and for the birthday wishes.

    Mandy

     
  • At 7/05/2006 12:23 AM, Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart

    I live in the house that I grew up in! It was nice to be able to do that. So many memories hit me every day.

     
  • At 7/05/2006 2:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    That's very sad that the new people have so neglected the house and surroundings.