meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
Nightingale









Monday, December 04, 2006

I joined my friends to the Christmas Bazaar this weekend and as we were driving along one of the major thoroughfares of the city, I noticed the many lanterns, trees and other Christmas decorations lined up in the entire stretch of the long road. This made me reminisce the cherished Christmas traditions my family had maintained other than the usual Filipino ways and the new ones we had lovingly created as years went by. I marvel at the power of holiday traditions and the comfort and continuity they bring to us each year. So I will be sharing them with you every Monday starting this week. This is my way of reminding you too of some old traditions you need to revive or some fresh new ideas you might want to try. Here is my first list….

1. While we are together for Thanksgiving, we try to find out what's on
everyone's Christmas list.


2. We ask each family member to write down their activities for the holidays in
a big wall calendar so there won't be any mix-ups.

3. I put a basket with photos from past Christmases and put it in a prominent
spot of our living room.

4. I buy a big red candle and I light it every night at dinner during the holidays.

5. We drive through the neighborhood looking at Christmas decorations while
we are listening to our favorite Christmas CD.



Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
 
6:40 AM | Permalink |


8 Comments:


  • At 12/04/2006 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    We are just starting our our Christmas Memories as a family and it is so fun to start traditions with a little one!

    I adore the picture idea and driving around with Christmas songs on!

     
  • At 12/04/2006 11:56 AM, Blogger Unknown

    Traditions are comforting, they give people roots.

     
  • At 12/04/2006 6:35 PM, Blogger Norma

    This brought back some memories for me too--especially driving throught the neighborhoods with our children when they were small to see all the decorations. Thanks, and I look forward to your series.

    My MM is up. Hope you'll stop by. http://collectingmythoughts.blogspot.com/2006/12/monday-memories-have-i-ever-told-you.html

     
  • At 12/04/2006 8:22 PM, Blogger The Mistress of the Dark

    We have the red Christmas candle too :)

     
  • At 12/04/2006 9:45 PM, Blogger Wystful1

    Wonderful traditions. Since my folks have long passed, I and hubby don't do much of the old good stuff we did when younger and had kids at home. Your traditions are awesome, and so caring!!

    Thanks for the visit today, glad you enjoyed the 'going back with Black and White'.

     
  • At 12/04/2006 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    That's great! When my childrean were little, we had the twelve days of Christmas for them. They had a present to open for the 12 days till Christmas, then all the big gifts were open on the eve.
    Thanks for stopping by.

     
  • At 12/05/2006 12:17 AM, Blogger MaR

    Lovely family traditions, Viamarie. Keep them up, they are a real treasure for the soul.

     
  • At 12/05/2006 4:21 AM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard

    They are great traditions, Viamaire; well worth retaining.