meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
Nightingale









Sunday, January 22, 2006
FUN THINGS TO DO
Haven’t you noticed that people nowadays are increasing their speeds? What was previously considered fast is now thought of as slow since others are going faster. No wonder many of us feel so frazzled at the end of a busy day. Wasn’t it just like yesterday when we celebrated New Year? Well look, January is almost over.

The words “fast,” “rapid,” “quick-acting,” and “speedy” are being used in the business marketplace. The same is also true on an individual level. Since companies are constantly looking for people who can do a quality job quicker, the employee is pressured to increase her speed and improve her skills. As a result she/he is promoted to a position paying her/him double of what she/he is previously making.

This is a worthy achievement, however, there is danger here. I remember reading an article that states that even though achievers should have a quick-service mindset in the marketplace, they must be careful not to personally become driven people, wildly racing to and fro. In our fast paced society we must fight to find times and places for peace, quiet and a slowed-down pace. Otherwise our personal health, spiritual growth, and/or vital relationships will suffer.

The real secret then is to balance professional quickness with personal rest, worship, and play. So this weekend, I will do the following fun things:

1. Work in the garden with my hubby. It does need a lot of caring.
2. Bring my grandson along when I go shopping. He has been reminding me for quite some
time about my promise to bring him along.
3. Buy flowering plants. Time to change some of them.
4. Play badminton with my grandson. Am not sure if I can still swing that racquet.
5. Start putting all the pictures that I have accummulated last year in an album.
6. Listen to my favorite recordings which I recently downloaded from the internet.
7. Bake a chiffon cake. I haven’t done this in such a long time.
8. Sing songs from our videoke machine.
9. Have dinner in the lanai.
10.Give each other fifteen-minute backrubs.

How about you? What fun things will you be doing?
 
12:30 PM | Permalink |


11 Comments:


  • At 1/21/2006 10:00 PM, Blogger Lazy Daisy

    Wow, loved your list. All of them are doable. It's called building "margin" into your life. Hope you have a wonderful weekend and get some of those accomplished....I you do them all isn't that being driven? Just a thought. Michele sent me and I'm glad I came!

     
  • At 1/21/2006 10:05 PM, Blogger ribbiticus

    do something i am much in need off - hie off to a spa! a relaxing shiatsu massage and foot reflexology should do the trick! :)

    here via michele's.

     
  • At 1/21/2006 10:08 PM, Blogger Joe

    Very cool list!

    Here via Michele.

     
  • At 1/21/2006 10:15 PM, Blogger The Mistress of the Dark

    I'll share my list from my blog. And I found a site that has legal music downloads at a much better price that places like Itunes.

    Have a lovely weekend!

     
  • At 1/21/2006 10:21 PM, Blogger Kristal

    My husband has to work today, so I'll be picking up my mother in law and taking the kids to garage sales. If I have the time, I'd like to swing by White Sands and take some pictures. Tomorrow is date night with the hubby, so hopefully I'll get dinner and a movie! Although I would settle for a backrub. ;-)

     
  • At 1/21/2006 10:31 PM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard

    Any weekend is fun in itself, with blogs to see and write.

    Michele sent me here.

     
  • At 1/21/2006 10:51 PM, Blogger kenju

    I definitely need to do #'s 1, 3, & 5! But since my daughter is here visiting, I probably won't do much at all.

    Michele sent me.

     
  • At 1/22/2006 1:07 AM, Blogger Crazy MomCat

    That sounds wonderful and I think it is cool that you actually have something you call a "lanai." I tend to over-commit myself all over the place. So, your message speaks to me in a big way!

    Have a great weekend!

     
  • At 1/22/2006 9:50 AM, Blogger Trinity13

    A back run sounds wonderful right about now!

    This weekend my hubby and I are throwing a party for his band and their families! Should be a great (but not relaxing...for me!) time.

     
  • At 1/22/2006 12:53 PM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD

    You bet it is. Today is like a race.Everybody in a hurry either to do something or to achieve something. But that is how life is in the world we'rd living. There is only one world, the world pressing against you at this minute. There is only one minute in which you are alive, this minute, here and now. The only way to live is by accepting each minute as an unrepeatable miracle. Which is exactly what life is - a miracle and unrepeatable. We should all remind ourselves that life is like a coin, you can spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once.

     
  • At 1/22/2006 7:04 PM, Blogger Chrixean

    I hope you had fun with Nicky (shopping and playing badminton, that is) :-)