meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
Nightingale









Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I was conducting my regular rounds of the hospital when I chanced upon a 92 year old, petite, well-poised and proud lady who while patiently waiting for many hours for her room was talking to a nurse. From their conversation, I learned that she was blind and her husband who was a regular patient of ours recently passed away.

She was in for dialysis treatment which required her long stay in the hospital so the nurse was providing her a visual description of how her room looks. She then stated with enthusiasm..."I love it".

The nurse then said, "but madam, you haven't seen the room...just wait." She then replied "that doesn't have anything to do with it." "Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not doesn't depend on how the furniture is arranged...it's how I arrange my mind. I already decided to love it. It's a decision I make every morning when I wake up."

She further said... "I have a choice. I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with the part of my body that no longer work, or get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do. Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open, I'll focus on the new day and all the happy memories I've stored away...just for this time in my life."

As I got back to my office, I started reflecting and I realized that what she said is truly right. Life is like a bank account...you withdraw from what you've put in. So we have to deposit a lot of happiness in our bank account of memories.

Here are 5 simple rules to be happy that I try very hard to apply as I go through life everyday:
1. free your heart from hatred
2. free your mind from worries
3. live simply
4. Give more
5. Expect less

To my loving family & dear friends, thank you for your part in filling my Memory Bank. Up to this day, I am still making deposits.
 
1:15 PM | Permalink |


9 Comments:


  • At 2/28/2006 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    aww that is really sweet! Great way to look at life!
    chelle

     
  • At 3/01/2006 10:24 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills

    Lovely! Really really 'dear' and lovely and INSPIRING, too. Thanks for the reminder, sweet Nightingale....How do you do it?

     
  • At 3/01/2006 11:24 AM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD

    That's very true, life is really like a bank account. How much you deposit is just how much you can withdraw. Let me also add up to this statement...life is also like a computer. Garbage in garbage out.
    If we have encoded our brains, the computer with garbage like negative things, then our brains will release into our body system this negative thoughts and there you are....a bad outlook on everything.
    BTW, I'll be doing your tag but will be doing it on a later date. Tomorrow is Thankful Thursday, maybe I'll be putting it there. Friday is Friends of the Friendless March Band. Will you be there?

     
  • At 3/01/2006 12:11 PM, Blogger Chrixean

    Very true! I try hard each day to live by these rules ;-)See you tomorrow on Thankful Thursday!

     
  • At 3/01/2006 3:12 PM, Blogger jac

    beautiful! just beautiful! thanks for sharing that!
    thank you, also, for stopping by my blog the other day.
    i hope you'll come again soon!

     
  • At 3/01/2006 8:11 PM, Blogger The Mistress of the Dark

    That is so true.

    Hugs!!!

     
  • At 3/01/2006 11:43 PM, Blogger MaR

    This was beautiful! thank you, what a lovely reading and something to think about.

     
  • At 3/02/2006 7:26 AM, Blogger Sandy

    What a wise and beautiful woman she is. Thanks for sharing her wisdom.

     
  • At 3/02/2006 8:13 AM, Blogger Melzie

    I'm gonna steal this, and print it off for my magnet board in my "other" room. :) Thank you for sharing it with us!