meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
Nightingale









Saturday, February 18, 2006
REMEMBER PROM NIGHT?

It's the time of the year that every school has been waiting for: PROM SEASON. Most of those who experienced a prom have taken from it at least one utterly unforgettable memory to laugh about, cringe over or cherish. So today, I feel like going down memory lane. Care to join me? Here is how I spent mine 35 years ago.

My highschool was an all-girl catholic school so back in the late 60s, we celebrated it just among us girls. Imagine us all dressed up in our formal dresses dancing with a girl schoolmate. Corny but that was how it was. That is why when I entered college, I was really looking forward to prom night. At first I was worried that I might not experience the real meaning of prom night because I was again enrolled in an all-girl catholic college. But I later on discovered that they allowed us to bring dates.

For months, all I did was go over magazines to choose what style of gown to wear, which style of shoes & bag to use and of course what hairstyle to have done. A week before prom night, I was rushed to the hospital due to high fever and vomitting. I was a later diagnosed to have typhoid fever.

I had no choice but to stay away from this event after I got discharged from the hospital because doctor strictly left instructions that I stay in bed for another week. As I got to my boarding house, I started crying, looking out the window ... I didn't want my roommates to see me crying, but I was hurting so bad. For me the prom is like the holy communion of dating - a rite of passage that, with all its expectations and reservations, is an experience in itself.

As I was staring outside the window, I never realized that a person was crossing the street to our boarding house. As he came closer, I recognized my date. He was with two other guys & a classmate of mine. The other guy whose date comes from another school invited me to their prom which was going to be held in tow weeks. At first, I was hesitant to accept the invitation because I didn't know anyone there. But later on changed my mind. I was very glad that we had so much fun. We danced all night to the hit songs of the following artists played by a band known as The Tiltdown Men: The Beatles, Bee Gees, Gary Lewis, Herman's Hermits & Diana Ross & the Supremes, Beach Boys, The Lettermen & The Rolling Stones.

At that time, my date and I were just dating and getting to know each other. Little did I know we were going to be married 3 years later. What made this prom so memorable was I felt like a princess the whole night & I was so much in love that I saw no one else except him. It was a truly wonderful experience and I am very thankful to my date for seeing to it that I get to experience the prom which only happens once in a girl's lifetime.
 
1:30 PM | Permalink |


24 Comments:


  • At 2/17/2006 10:12 PM, Blogger Shannon

    Here from micheles!
    So happy you married your date....did it last?

     
  • At 2/17/2006 11:02 PM, Blogger Viamarie

    Yes. In fact we are celebrating our 33rd wedding anniversary on March 14.

    Thanks for dropping by Shannon.

     
  • At 2/17/2006 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    aaah nice story...
    Over from the other Michele's

     
  • At 2/18/2006 2:56 AM, Blogger Trinity13

    What a wonderful memory!

    We didn't have a prom at my high school since we were not allowed to dance...so we had a banquet. Cheesy, I know!

     
  • At 2/18/2006 4:22 AM, Blogger Jeff

    Thats an incredible story. You dont hear about high school romances turning into much these days. As a wedding photographer who has been to over 200 weddings i have only seen that once. Your part of a small percentage.

     
  • At 2/18/2006 8:52 AM, Blogger carmilevy

    Lovely story. It resonates strongly with all of us who still vividly remember that important time of our lives. Beautifully written.

     
  • At 2/18/2006 9:11 AM, Blogger Lisa

    I'm glad your prom night turned into a good memory. Prom was never a big deal, and didn't attend either one, by my own choice. The boy who I was dating took me to a movie, and we loved how "anti-establishment" we felt. :-)

    Michele sent me!

     
  • At 2/18/2006 9:32 AM, Blogger The Mistress of the Dark

    ~sniffles~

    I have my prom gown still but I never got to wear it.

    Here via Michele's

     
  • At 2/18/2006 10:08 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills

    What a lovely story with an extremely happy ending...! WOW!

    I'm confused: When I was growing up back in '08..Our proms were in June! You know, when it was warm and you could wear an off the shoulder gown...(Oh My Does That Phrase 'date' Me!!!! lol)..But the point is..It was in the Spring..almost Summer. When are Proms now???? February?? Too cold.

     
  • At 2/18/2006 10:09 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills

    OOOOOOPS! I forgot to say I'm here from Michele's tonight.

     
  • At 2/18/2006 10:44 AM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD

    I have experienced my high school prom too. I was also in an all girl school but by that time the nuns were a little modern in their ways and we were allowed to bring our dates. Sad to say our dates were only there for dancing, the nuns were always around checking how close we were to our dates. Funny how things were before

     
  • At 2/18/2006 12:21 PM, Blogger Viamarie

    Sorry, Oldoldladyofthehills. Here in the Philippines, prom season is between January & February.

    Thanks for dropping by. Happy weekend!

     
  • At 2/18/2006 12:46 PM, Blogger Steph

    Oh my goodness, I LOVE that story!!
    Your date was your hero! What an incredible love story.
    Funny, my last post is about my daughter's first formal last weekend. I hope her memories are one day as rich.

    Michele sent me tonight.

     
  • At 2/18/2006 5:06 PM, Blogger Le laquet

    Hi here this morning from Michele's.

    Why did the older students and sympathizers barricade the entrance of the hotel with placards? That was incredibly mean! However it is always lovely to have a happy ending to a story!

     
  • At 2/18/2006 5:06 PM, Blogger Malinda777

    Great story. Is he still your prince?

    Here from Michele, sorta.

     
  • At 2/18/2006 5:27 PM, Blogger Daydreamer of Oz

    Hey Viamarie,
    Great story. So happy it turned out like that for you. Found you at Michele's...

     
  • At 2/18/2006 6:36 PM, Blogger Meow (aka Connie)

    What a great story, and with an amazing happy ending, too. We didn't have Prom's when I went to school. These days they have Formals, maybe that's the same thing. Hope you have a great weekend. Take care, Meow

     
  • At 2/18/2006 9:33 PM, Blogger Beanhead

    Here from Michele's and my prom is a bad memory for me so I keep it tucked deep in a hidden pocket of my memory.

     
  • At 2/18/2006 9:35 PM, Blogger Suzanne

    Why in the world would all of those Seniors ruin your evening like that? I just can't get past that part of your story...it seems so mean of them. I'm glad it worked out nicely for you though.

     
  • At 2/18/2006 10:23 PM, Blogger Karen

    Great story! I too went to an all-girl Catholic high school, but not having a male date was never an option. I wish it had been. I only went to my senior prom because of that and it was with a friend. Unfortunately, some of my girlfriends never got to go. I hope that has changed.

    Michele sent me. I'm glad she did!

     
  • At 2/18/2006 10:25 PM, Blogger HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything

    Prom... hmm. Well, my junior year, I found out 2 weeks before that my date didn't really want to go with me, but didn't want to tell me, in case he made me feel bad. Yeah, I dumped his ass, and scrambled for a date, and had a crappy time. Senior prom? I had to ask 4 different people. Had a good time, but I think my date was gay (at least he was a good dancer).
    Prom. Yeah, whatever.

     
  • At 2/18/2006 10:26 PM, Blogger Margaret

    I didn't go to my high school prom, but I remember the formals from college. Some were marvelous--others not so much. Here from Michele's.

     
  • At 2/18/2006 10:36 PM, Blogger The Mistress of the Dark

    Here via Michele's again. I sent you an email about my prom last night.

    PS..I love Herman's Hermits!

     
  • At 2/18/2006 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I'm glad to hear you got your rite of passage and met a prince for keeps. 33 years is admirable. :-)

    Sorry my pic was unclear. Thanks for pointing it out. It's captioned now.