meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
Nightingale









Monday, February 06, 2006
WARNING!
A stock clerk was sent to clean up a storeroom in Maui, Hawaii. When he got back, he was complaining that the storeroom was really filthy and that he had noticed dried mouse or rat droppings in some areas. A couple of days later, he started to feel like he was coming down with stomach flu. He complained of sore joints and headaches and began to vomit. He went to bed and never really got up again. Within two days he was severely ill adn weak. His blood sugar count was down to 66, and his face was white and eyeballs were sunken. He was rushed to the ER at Pali-Momi, where he was diagnosed to be suffering from organ failure. He died shortly before midnight.

No one would have made the connection between his job and his death had it not been for the doctor who specifically asked if he had been in a warehouse or exposed to dried or mouse droppings at any time. They said there is a virus (much like the Hanta virus) that lives in dried rat and mouse droppings. Once dried, these droppings are like dust and can easily be breathed in or ingested if a person does not wear protective gear or fails to wash face and hands thoroughly. An autopsy performed on the clerk confirmed the doctor's suspicions.

This is why it is extremely important to ALWAYS carefully rinse off the tops of canned sodas or foods, and to wipe off pasta packaging, cereal boxes, and so on. Almost everything you buy in a supermarket was stored in a warehouse at one time or another, and stores themselves often have rodents.

Most of us remember to wash vegetables and fruits but never think of boxes and cans. The ugly truth is, even the most modern upper class super store has rats and mice. And their warehouse most assuredly does! Whenever you buy any canned soft drink & juices, please make sure that you wash it with water and soap or if that is not available, drink it with a straw.

Please share this message to the people you care about.
 
7:00 AM | Permalink |


11 Comments:


  • At 2/05/2006 3:23 PM, Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills

    I had heard this quite a few times and I rarely drink any soda's from a can...but, if I do, or I serbve soda, I always do what you said.

    I have got to remember about boxes, too! Thank You for all this.

     
  • At 2/05/2006 8:32 PM, Blogger sage

    good advice but I wonder about the validity of the story... having lived many years in the desert west--I'm use to taking lots of precautions around mouse droppings and these extra tips would certainly help. Michele sent me.

     
  • At 2/06/2006 6:05 AM, Blogger Carmi

    Words to live by. I've always washed cans before opening them. I'm manic about hand washing, and I'm sure my colleagues think I'm OCD when I scrub with sterile hand cleaner after they shake my hand.

    Frightening stuff. You've done a good deed in sharing this today.

     
  • At 2/06/2006 6:36 AM, Blogger OldOldLady Of The Hills

    Michele sent me back today!

    There are so many dangerous things with MAJOR germs that we don't really think about...I heard on some TV show that the kitchen sinks WORST Germy places are not IN the sink, but the surfaces surrounding the sink!!! OY!

    And of curse that horrendous sponge that I feel will never be 'right' again immediately after the very first time I use it!!! UGH!

    And my "infectious disease" doc realy put the fear of God in my about Hand Washing!!! My hands are RAW from being as dilligent as he said I must be! And I'm not kidding...raw, raw, raw.
    I'm so glad you posted about the cans and such!

     
  • At 2/06/2006 6:48 AM, Blogger Mamacita

    I'm here from Michele's but I'm coming back regularly. Your blog is wonderful!!!!!!

     
  • At 2/06/2006 7:10 AM, Blogger utenzi

    Michele sent me, Marie.

    Good advice and quite true but I'm not going to bother to do it. Just too much bother for the extremely remote chance that an infected mouse pooped on my can. I will admit that I was nervous about the mice droppings from a recent "invasion" of my house last month. It took me over a week to chase those little buggers out.

    On the other hand, those fevers that are spread by mice usually are very dangerous and often fatal. Hmmm.

     
  • At 2/06/2006 9:55 AM, Blogger Chrixean

    Eeeewwwww......:P

     
  • At 2/06/2006 11:40 AM, Blogger Guppyman

    It's probably a good idea to wash the can, but... your story is just an urban legend...

    http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/raturine.asp

     
  • At 2/06/2006 10:27 PM, Blogger Trinity13

    Good advice...thanks!

     
  • At 2/07/2006 1:09 AM, Anonymous mar

    Thanks for the advice...I only wipe cans of coke, I will be more careful now.

     
  • At 2/08/2006 3:29 AM, Anonymous Claire

    Scary thought, I'm big on washing everything before using it!