meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
Nightingale









Saturday, February 04, 2006
THE JOY OF GRANDPARENTING

What makes you coo in public, travel thousands of miles just to spend a weekend baby-sitting, weigh your wallet down with cute snapshots, and simply feel terrific? A grandchild, of course!

The wonder of it all takes every new grandparent by surprise. No one is ever quite prepared for the overwhelming emotion that a newborn grandchild evokes. Joan Holleman and Audrey Sherins said that as the years go on the friendship that develops between grandchild and grandparent can enrich and reward both generations.

As a grandma of almost 7 years, I would like to share with you the many joys I have experienced in grandparenting:

  • when my child gave me a grandson, it was like having my cake and eating it, too.
  • baby-sitting my grandson is a labour of love; the only compensations are hugs & kisses.
  • the first sounds my grandson made were sweeter than my favorite love song.
  • the reason I need a large purse is to hold pictures of my grandson.
  • there's nothing like my grandson's smile to make me forget my worries.
  • my grandson is the bonus for all the work I did as a parent.
  • as a grandma, I can enjoy with my grandson, the things I didn't get to do with my child.
  • patience is what I learned for all the "whys?" of my grandson.
  • spending time with my grandson is life's best preventive medicine.
Being a grandma is one of the joys of growing older. And what could be sweeter than having an admirer who believes you can answer all of life's mysteries?
 
10:30 AM | Permalink |


10 Comments:


  • At 2/03/2006 8:25 PM, Blogger Lazy Daisy

    Lovely post...my grownkids have presented us with grand kittens. Maybe one day. What a delightful site! Here from Michele's

     
  • At 2/03/2006 8:49 PM, Blogger MaR

    Just lovely! Michele sent me this morning.

     
  • At 2/03/2006 9:01 PM, Blogger Prego

    Very heartwarming. I wish my mom was still around to be a grandma :(

    Here via michele today

     
  • At 2/03/2006 9:03 PM, Blogger Prego

    Actually, she still is a grandma, come to think of it.

    I have a chime of hers hanging in my kitchen. Whenever my boys are under it, I pick them up and tell them to ring the bells for their abuela.

     
  • At 2/03/2006 10:47 PM, Blogger the Intuitive Woman

    Wonderful post. My parents are truly enjoying the wonders of grandparenting as well, and I'm sure they'd share your sentiments.

    thank you for your comments on my site via Michele. Have a lovely weekend.

     
  • At 2/03/2006 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    It is good to hear that you are embracing and enjoying it. We have 2 young kids, with one grandma who is like you and one who is too caught up in the business of life to even make time to enjoy it.

     
  • At 2/03/2006 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    My grandmother, with whom I was very, very close, passed away in the Fall of 2004. Your grandson is so lucky to have you in his life this way, and I'm sure he cherishes this very special relationship.

     
  • At 2/03/2006 11:07 PM, Blogger Bonnie (BornInaZoo)

    I tried stopping by earlier, but your blog wouldn't come up. I'm here from Michele's.

    A beautiful post.

     
  • At 2/04/2006 12:24 AM, Blogger Trinity13

    My mom loves being a grandparent! She thinks it's great to spoil my son and then send him home to me hyper! :-)

     
  • At 2/04/2006 4:34 PM, Blogger Meow (aka Connie)

    What a wonderful thing, being a grandparent (I'm not one yet, but hopefully will be one day ... my daughter is only 11 at the moment !!). You get to enjoy the children, but can also give them back. My mum loves being a grandmother. Take care, enjoy, Meow