meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
Nightingale









Wednesday, October 04, 2006
Viamarie is thankful

...that the family is back home after 5 days of stay in the hospital. We could have gone home after 3 days but because of power blackout in the entire Luzon province due to a typhoon, we were forced to stay longer. It was early morning of Wednesday-Sept 28, 2006 while my daughter was undergoing a C-section, we were experiencing strong rains and winds due to a typhoon named MILENYO, strongest to hit Manila in 11 years. The typhoon was expected to arrive that afternoon. At 7:00 AM after my daughter was wheeled back to her room, hubby and I decided to leave for home to freshen up and to get some things that she, her husband and baby will be needing while in the hospital. Wow, the streets on our way home looked like a war zone with fallen trees, poles and rising floodwaters. As we reached home, there were a lot of leaves and plants scattered in our front yard. During this time the electricity had already been cut. Shortly after 10 AM, the winds became stronger so we decided to go back to the hospital. At 2 PM, the eye of the typhoon directly hit us and for more than an hour there was so much rain and winds causing many objects from roofing materials, wood materials , etc to fly in all directions causing a lot of damage to buildings and homes all over our place. Since the hospital had its own generator, we had power but NO INTERNET. NO TV. We then decided to remain holed up in our hospital room for the next days enjoying the company of each other and our new bundle of joy. We left our house in the care of our two maids and my mom. They were without electricity but we were lucky to have been able to fill up our water tank so they had water while the rest of the neighbors didn't. Although there was no power, we still had a gas range that would enable them to cook for a candle-lit dinner and my mom still had her good old reliable radio which became their only source of information and link to the outside world. Now, after a week, there are still many areas without power and reports have shown that this typhoon claimed many lives and have caused damage to millions of pesos worth of crops and infrastructures but I am still very grateful to God for the safety of our family, a strongly built home, ample food, fuel and water.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Links to other Thankful Thursdays (If you participate, leave your link in the comments and I'll post it below; or, you can post in the comments)

Click here for the Thankful Thursday code

Click here for Chrixean's blog

Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!



 
7:54 AM | Permalink |


22 Comments:


  • At 10/04/2006 9:11 AM, Blogger Meow (aka Connie)

    Wow, that must have been a pretty scary experience. You sound so calm ... I think I would've been a mess. Hope everything gets back to some form of normal soon. It is good news that grandparents, parents and baby are home again ... hope everything is going well. Can't wait to see photos of bub on here or Chrixean's blog. A new bubba ... how exciting !! Congratulations again to all of you.
    Take care, hugs, Meow

     
  • At 10/04/2006 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Goodness! I'm really happy that your family stayed safe during such a bad storm but saddened that so many did not...and congrats on the newest addition to your family!

     
  • At 10/05/2006 2:45 AM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard

    What an experience to occur on the arrival of your new grandchild.

     
  • At 10/05/2006 8:31 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills

    That looked incredibly scary...! I'm glad you had each other and that your new Grandbaby was delivered before the loss of power...Because even though the Hospital has a generator---it still is pretty frightening I would think....! It had to be such a good thing that you were all together there in the Hospital!

    Congratulations my dear, on this Dear New Bundle Of Joy!

     
  • At 10/05/2006 8:46 AM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD

    So am I thankful for what we have gone through. Though we don't live near each other, we still stay in one Country and what you experienced we also did. Trees were uprooted and street light posts down. The worst was no internet, no cable TV cause of no electricity but yet we still survived. Something really to be thankful for.
    My Thankful Thursday is up too. It is posted after my Thursday Thirteen.

     
  • At 10/05/2006 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I am thankful that you and your family were safe during this storm - PTL.

     
  • At 10/05/2006 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I am so glad you read that your family safely weather the storm and together no less!

     
  • At 10/05/2006 8:42 PM, Blogger Wystful1

    Oh my goodness!
    I'm happy to read that you are all okay.

    I don't know if I would want to be using the gas range tho...I would fear of a leak somewhere!! Glad to hear all went well with that!!!!

    What a scary thing......
    Just glad to hear you're okay through all this and the family is safe.

    About the ones lost tho...this is all still so tragic.

    (Thanks for visiting with me at my blog....bless you all!-------you and your family)

     
  • At 10/05/2006 9:16 PM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD

    Hi it's me again. Didn't know you were one of the links for 4th blog marathon. Well, here I am from Dr. John.

     
  • At 10/05/2006 10:12 PM, Blogger Louisiana

    i'm doing dr. John's marathon again. it brings me to you again. i so love your header, i know, i know, i tell you every time i'm here but i can't help it..it's so sweet.

    congratulations on the grandchild. another angel for our world.i'm glad everyone is fine. i hear about the typhoon in the news. it was a strong one for sure.

    take care and enjoy those cuddles. hope your daughter is doing well too.

     
  • At 10/05/2006 11:27 PM, Blogger ... Paige

    I had not heard of the weather there. So very glad all of you are ok. I have been in a couple/few hurricanes myself. Rain, wind those awlful sounds of cracking & flying stuff.
    Glad y'all are safe

     
  • At 10/06/2006 1:47 AM, Blogger Jerry Bowley

    I, too, am cruising through on Dr. John's Marathon...

    Glad to hear your family is well. And congrats on the new addition!

     
  • At 10/06/2006 1:58 AM, Blogger Bazza

    I,m really glad you're ok, Dr John sent me.

     
  • At 10/06/2006 2:17 AM, Blogger MaR

    Glad to hear you and your family are safe. The news have shown the terrible pictures of the typhoon... your little granddaughter will hear all about it again when she grows older!

     
  • At 10/06/2006 2:28 AM, Blogger Catch

    You have much to be thankful for! God bless that new grandbaby!!!!

    I have ecscaped from Dr Johns fortress today!!! I have a day pass to visit your blog!!

     
  • At 10/06/2006 3:32 AM, Blogger Lazy Daisy

    Congratulations on the new baby and you are so right to be thankful after such a scary expience. Glad everyone is home now. Kiss the baby on the head for me.

     
  • At 10/06/2006 4:04 AM, Blogger Unknown

    Nothing more wonderful than a new baby, huh?? And what a great song on the blog!! Dr. John sent me.

     
  • At 10/06/2006 6:38 AM, Blogger Margaret

    Great Post! I will most likely switch over to Thankful Thursdays .. the T13 thing is getting old on me. Stopping by via Dr. John and thankful to see you're all okay.

     
  • At 10/06/2006 7:34 AM, Blogger B.R.L

    That was a very scary time for you.I am glad that all stayed safe and you have a new grandchild. I came from Dr John's marathon

     
  • At 10/06/2006 8:40 AM, Blogger High Power Rocketry

    Just visiting from DR. John

     
  • At 10/06/2006 1:06 PM, Blogger Charlene Amsden

    Congratulations on the birth of your new grandchild. I am glad your time of fear was also a loving time of joy. God is good.

    I am a jogger in the Dr. John Marathon. Thanks for providing such a grace filled rest stop!

     
  • At 10/06/2006 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Hi Viamarie. I'm mompoet from the Friends of the Friendless Marching Band. Even though Carol's on hiatus, I am visiting her FFMB sites today in honour of Canadian Thanksgiving. Congratulations on your new grandchild. Thank you sor your story of the typhoon. I am glad to hear that you and your family are safe and well.
    mp