meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
Nightingale









Monday, March 13, 2006

How special it is when a husband or wife says, "I married my best friend." Even more special is the spouse who says after thirty three years of marriage, "I am married to my best friend!"

When I decided to get married to my boyfriend of 6 years, my friends were saying that our marriage was not going to work because I was only in my early twenties and usually relationships at this stage are rooted in passion. Little did they know that our relationship was not only a "love affair", but a deep and growing friendship - a meeting not only of bodies, but of minds, hearts and souls.

When we were introduced by a townmate, I at first didn't take notice. He would tag along his friend who happened to be my boardmate's boyfriend whenever he paid her a visit. When they went on dates, I had to chaperon my friend so I became his constant partner. In the beginning, I found it difficult to relate with him because he was older by 5 years. He was already working while I was just about to start college. Since I was hundred of miles away from home, he gradually became my good friend. He not only loved, cared, worried, stood by me, helped me when I was hospitalized for typhoid fever, forgave me for a lot of things, provided me with warmth, humour, kindness, thoughtfulness & everything I needed. But most of all he was always there when I needed him. These were the qualities that lead me to love him more dearly as the years went by.

In celebration of our 33rd wedding anniversary this coming March 14, I'd like to dedicate this poem written by an unknown author to my dearly beloved husband.

I love you not only for what you are,
but for what I am when I am with you;
I love you not only for what you have made of yourself,
but for what you are making of me;
I love you not for closing your ears to the discords in me,
but for adding to the music in me by worshipful listening;
Perhaps that is what being a friend means, after all.



 
4:30 PM | Permalink |


13 Comments:


  • At 3/13/2006 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    What a lovely story...sounds like you made the right choice!!

     
  • At 3/13/2006 10:34 PM, Blogger Lazy Daisy

    Wow, congrats.....We will have our 33 in July. Sounds like we both made good choices!

     
  • At 3/14/2006 3:45 AM, Blogger MaR

    Lovely post! my husband and I met on a March 14... 23 years ago. Happy Anniversary to you two!

     
  • At 3/14/2006 3:56 AM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard

    That's true; one's spouse should be their best friend as well.

     
  • At 3/14/2006 7:03 AM, Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD

    As years go on, the older we get and time can only tell how long marriages last. Through these many years, differences come out and only time and love can only tell how long we can last. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
    One of the best gifts you can give to your spouse and to your is
    this: listening ears. Such ears
    are invariably connected to a kind and patient heart. Be a friend of the four C's: compassion, caring,
    consideration and comfort. Those four traits never grow old or fall out of fashion.

     
  • At 3/14/2006 9:12 AM, Blogger The Mistress of the Dark

    I think my parents can say that too. 50 + years of marriage for them on Wednesday :)

    Have a lovely day.

    Andrea

     
  • At 3/14/2006 11:01 AM, Blogger Van Cong Tu

    Congrats, I have lots of friends who are married at the same age and they are great. thanks forsharing us a luvly story.

     
  • At 3/14/2006 8:21 PM, Blogger Daydreamer of Oz

    Hey Viamarie!
    Happy Anniversary, you deserve a massive celebration....I hope you'll do something really special :)

     
  • At 3/14/2006 9:54 PM, Blogger Chrixean

    happy anniversary!!!! mwah! mwah! mwah!!!! :)

     
  • At 3/14/2006 11:15 PM, Blogger Trinity13

    Happy Anniversary sweetie!!! Have a wonderful time celebrating!!

     
  • At 3/15/2006 1:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    That is awesome!!! Congrats!!

     
  • At 3/15/2006 10:19 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills

    WOW! That is truly fantastic! Congratulations to you dear Nighingale...33 years of living and loving with your bestest friend in the whole world...(I love that people told you it 'wouldn't last'...HA!)

    You know,I have the capability of marrying people, Legally.(Yes!) And that Poem is a perfect Poem to be included in a Wedding Ceremony along with the fact that there are people out there in this big world, like you, my dear, who live this poem...! Happy Happy Anniversary to you and your very Best Friend!

     
  • At 3/30/2006 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Happy anniversary! This is a beautiful story with a beautiful picture to accompany it too!

    Do you mind if I post the pic in my blog too? Let me know. :) Thanks!