meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
Nightingale









Monday, March 27, 2006


It's Graduation Season again in the Philippines. For thousands of graduates, it is the day that marks the start of their future. What they don't know is that many of the things they thought they've learned in college will seem irrelevant the minute they enter the wide world of the workplace.





This is how I felt thirty five years ago when I graduated from my Bachelors in Nursing. All I wanted was just to do bedside nursing to the best of my ability. As days went on, I started to realize that what I have just been through as a student is a mere foretaste of what lies ahead. There were many days wherein everything seems to be askew and I seem pitifully helpless to do anything about it. There were a lot of instances when I had to fully fathom the complexities of human behavior within and outside the workplace. Also there was this very vast wealth of knowledge that had to be explored in the medical field which I didn't learn in school.

All these posed as a challenge to me so barely nine months on the job, I got married and was promoted as Headnurse of the OB/Gyne Division. A few months later I was offered the position of Nurse Supervisor. Since I was about to deliver my first child, it was at this point when I had to assess the situation and study my options. I was not too sure if I was capable of the very big responsibility of running a workforce of almost 300 nursing professionals considering my age. But with God guiding me all the way, I accepted the offer and I am proud to say that I did a very good job. With lots of prayers, I became brave, I held fast to my ideals and I considered the lumps and bumps along the way as part of my continuing education. These experiences in this 250 bed hospital led me to higher positions years later in another hospital but this time in administration.



So to the graduates of 2006, let me share with you what Alex Vergara, a journalist said in one of her articles, "What you learned in school for four years are not enough when it comes to acquiring the skills and knowledge you'll need - professionally and, more so interpersonally - to survive and make sense of this life. You can not depend on your mentors and the institutions that endeavored to mold you into what you've become today. You really have to determine your strengths and to draw from them as you begin to chart your own course. "

"Think of the years you spent in school
as your ticket
to change the world."
Tom Brokaw


 
2:15 PM | Permalink |


8 Comments:


  • At 3/27/2006 9:41 PM, Blogger MaR

    March seems to me a strange month to graduate...how does your school year run? Enjoyed your wise words and the quote!

     
  • At 3/27/2006 9:47 PM, Blogger Norma

    You didn't label this a Monday Memory, but it's a great one. That's a lot of responsibility so soon out of school Good advice for new graduates.

    My MM is up: http://collectingmythoughts.blogspot.com/2006/03/monday-memories-grandmas-farm-did-i.html

     
  • At 3/27/2006 11:14 PM, Blogger Viamarie

    Mar, in the Philippines school year is from June to March

     
  • At 3/27/2006 11:34 PM, Blogger Trinity13

    June to March?! Huh.

     
  • At 3/27/2006 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I think that is excellent advise!! The quotes rock!

     
  • At 3/28/2006 12:53 AM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard

    Viamarie, the fault on 'The Picard Song' has been corrected. If you go back, it will work.

     
  • At 3/28/2006 7:43 AM, Blogger Diane Viere

    I am going to share your post with my daughter, who is graduating this May as an RN. She is just now finishing her patient care internship and is finalizing her last large project before graduation. Interviews begin in April...so needless to say--she is a little stressed. So nice to see someone who has been in this industry for such a long time--you must have a compassionate and caring heart!

    Diane

     
  • At 3/28/2006 12:02 PM, Blogger Unknown

    I like how your posts are inspirational. It gives a little list to my life, and I'm sure to others.